[c-nsp] BGP neighbor route-map or prefix-list ?

Adrian Arumugam apa5891 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 17:18:58 EDT 2011

IIRC...

Inbound announcements, order preference for policies applied by router....
1. route-map
2. filter-list
3. prefix-list, distribute-list

Outbound announcements, order preference for policies applied by router....
1. prefix-list, distribute-list
2. filter-list
3. route-map

I know there is a cisco docs reference available to confirm this.......

Be careful though... the router will apply all policies.... route-map first,
then filter-list, then prefix & distribute lists..... so if any of them
contain a deny the prefix will be denied..... if you have all levels applied
to a session (for the life of me I can't think of why you would want to do
this, as route-maps are powerful enough to do nearly everything)..... then
for a prefix to be allowed 'all' of the policies applied to the session must
allow the prefix...

-- A