[c-nsp] P2MP MPLS TE

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Sep 19 22:03:44 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, September 20, 2011 05:34:34 AM Pavel Lunin
wrote:

> > What's wrong with PIM?
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=2lxbaQ-VN8sC&lpg=PP1&hl=
> ru&pg=PA307#v=onepage&q&f=false:)

Exactly!

Don't get me wrong, PIM is still used in NG-MVPN networks,
but only at the edges, i.e., at the Sender PE router when
communicating with the source network, and at the Receiver
PE router toward the FTTH network (as part of the IGMP
infrastructure).

> Let me guys ask a reverse question. Is anyone here using
> draft-rosen in production? Would appreciate you
> feedback. Is it as dreadful as it's sometimes said? :)
> Mark?

Nope, no Rosen here :-).

I studied it many times back and found it too complicated
that we never deployed it. It helped that there wasn't any
urgent need for it at the time to.

It so happened that when we then wanted to implement
Multicast, NG-MVPN was available.

Does replacing PIM with BGP add complexity in BGP? Perhaps.
But from our experience over the years running NG-MVPN, it's
actually not causing any major issues.

Cheers,

Mark.