[c-nsp] Funny problem w/ SFP link on Nexus 5548

quinn snyder snyderq at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 01:45:35 EDT 2011

garry -- please see inline.

regards,
q.

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Garry wrote:

> On 21.09.2011 23:27, Vinny_Abello at Dell.com wrote:
>> Is Gig-E auto negotiation set the same on both devices? It sounds kind of like the Nortel has Gig-E auto negotiation disabled, so it will show link as soon as it sees light. Your NX might be trying to auto negotiate which won't work if the other side isn't doing it as well. Maybe try disabling auto neg on the NX.
>
> The port is configured to "speed 1000", which AFAIK required if you use
> 1G SFPs instead of the default 10G ones ... is there anything else to
> changes/disable?

yes -- this in regards to the configuration on the n5.5k.  however,
i believe that the original question was not in regards to the speed
setting on the port, but to the negotiation of the interface itself,
either needing to be disabled on the n5.5k or enabled on the nortel.
something along the lines of 'no negotiation auto' or so.
i believe the following url has something regarding this on the new nx-os
versions.[0]

> As the same SFP works with the 2960S, and the same SFP works in the NX
> for a link to a 2960S (on the same port even), there must be some
> difference in the way the NX and the 2960S handles the port ... also,
> there are no messages at all in the logs or on the console when I hook
> up the Nortel switch ...

i vaguely remember something about gig-e negotiation not being supported
in the n5.5k platform.  i believe that i helped gert with this as he was
having issues with his carrier.  i tested with an n5k with glc-sx-mm to
asr1k and everything came up.  i believe brad hedlund chimed in saying
something to this effect.  it should be in the archives.

[0]http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/release/notes/Rel_5_0_3_N2_1/Nexus5000_Release_Notes_5_0_3_N2.html#wp355607