[c-nsp] Funny problem w/ SFP link on Nexus 5548

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Thu Sep 22 03:38:35 EDT 2011

On 22.09.2011 07:45, quinn snyder wrote:
> garry -- please see inline.
>
> regards,
> q.
>
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Garry wrote:
>
>> On 21.09.2011 23:27, Vinny_Abello at Dell.com wrote:
>>> Is Gig-E auto negotiation set the same on both devices? It sounds
>>> kind of like the Nortel has Gig-E auto negotiation disabled, so it
>>> will show link as soon as it sees light. Your NX might be trying to
>>> auto negotiate which won't work if the other side isn't doing it as
>>> well. Maybe try disabling auto neg on the NX.
>>
>> The port is configured to "speed 1000", which AFAIK required if you use
>> 1G SFPs instead of the default 10G ones ... is there anything else to
>> changes/disable?
>
> yes -- this in regards to the configuration on the n5.5k.  however, i
> believe that the original question was not in regards to the speed
> setting on the port, but to the negotiation of the interface itself,
> either needing to be disabled on the n5.5k or enabled on the nortel.
> something along the lines of 'no negotiation auto' or so.
> i believe the following url has something regarding this on the new
> nx-os versions.[0]
Checked the docs, the negotiation disable feature is available from
5.0.3N2, of course the N5K5 here had 5.0.3N1 ... ;) Doing the upgrade
now, should see if that's the cause of the problem ... I remember a
similar problem on a 3560 which we had to disable the auto neg, though I
believe it at least said something in the logs ... so that was easier to
pinpoint...

Tnx, -garry