[c-nsp] Cisco and third party transceivers

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 16:17:30 EDT 2011

Hello,
there are providers like Flexoptix(http://www.flexoptix.net) who are
able to flash SFP EEPROM memory with different vendor data, probably
set custom serial numbers etc. However, why is such service needed at
nowadays for Cisco equipment? Every router/switch I have seen supports
the "service unsupported-transceiver"(should turn of checking the
"Cisco Quality ID") and "no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid"
commands and thus doesn't check the ID code in EEPROM..
In addition, am I correct, that some old Cisco IOS versions did not
have the "service unsupported-transceiver" and "no errdisable detect
cause gbic-invalid" commands and thus one really was forced to use
transceivers with Cisco serials?

Last but not least, does SmartNet require you to use Cisco branded
transceivers? I have heard that this is true only in case the fault or
unexpected behaviour is related to transceiver..

regards,
Martin