[c-nsp] 7600 AtoM mpls issue

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Apr 6 04:00:32 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 05:09:15PM -0400, Chris Lane wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, i may just grab an 2 ES+ cards...

If you have the moneys lying around...

> I don't think i can do the sub int ~ my p2p is L3, wouldn't i have to
> change that to a sub int as well??

If the VLAN is coming in only via a single ethernet port, you can do subint
just fine :-) - search on cisco.com for "MUX-UNI".

If you need local switch (= multiple ports in the same VLAN) you need
to do the loopback cable trick:

 - configure VLAN 3000 as usual
 - have one port configured as "switchport access vlan 3000"
 - cross-connect that port to another port on the same box
 - have *that* port connected as "no switchport" and
     "xconnect x.x.x.x 3000 encapsulation mpls"

so it's "port based EoMPLS" as far as MPLS goes, and "local switching"
as far as VLAN 3000 goes.  But it wastes two ports on the box... (which
is lots less money than an ES card).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de