[c-nsp] OSPF's handling of secondary IP addresses on subinterfaces

Robert Johnson fasterfourier at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 22:29:06 EDT 2012

I have a FastEthernet interface with multiple 802.1Q based
subinterfaces. OSPF properly advertises routes for the subnets
directly defined on these subinterfaces. However if I add secondary IP
addresses to these subinterfaces, the subnets defined using the
secondary command show up in the local routing table as directly
connected, but OSPF doesn't advertise them to the rest of the area.
The OSPF process includes network statements that encompass both
primary and secondary IP addresses and they're all in the same area.

Are there any limitations I should know about with OSPF on
subinterfaces with secondary IP addresses?

IOS 12.4(25) on a 3745.

Thanks in advance.