[c-nsp] C3550-12T - Gig copper ports won't link at 1Gb

graham graham at g-rock.net
Sun Apr 15 20:37:09 EDT 2012

Hi Keegan,

It will only link with this type of config:

CR1-ORL1#show running-config interface gigabitEthernet 0/1
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 145 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 switchport access vlan 10
 switchport mode access
 speed auto 100 1000
 duplex full
 spanning-tree portfast

I have tried "speed auto" or "speed 1000" and it won't link. With the speed
subcommands, I have changed the duplex (like duplex auto) as well with no
prevail.

Other end has been two different HP Proliant Servers and a Mikrotik RB1100AH
router. The servers were set to auto, and the MT I played around with the
speed/duplex hardset and auto. I have tested these against a 3560G and can
link up @ 1Gb no problem. One of the server is on gi0/2 right now, set to
auto and it's doing 100/full (auto).

I will go back to the physical layer tomorrow and try new cabling (as I am
accessing the switch remotely right now).  I will try another port as well.

Thanks for the hints,

-graham