[c-nsp] Understanding Out/Input bytes in Interface Counters on 2811

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Thu Apr 19 14:33:12 EDT 2012

32bit counters would wrap at 4.29GB so it would never get to 300GB.  As far
as I know most newer devices have 64 bit counters, but I could be
mistaken.  The last update I could find on cisco.com was from 2007.  It
would be pretty stupid to have gigabit interfaces on a device with counters
that wrap at about 33Gb.    The show int command should show the last time
the counters were cleared.  Even less likely is they are counting in bits
and not bytes.  I would want to see this kind of data come from a
monitoring platform of some sort.  If you don't have graphs I would ask for
data from the vendor's billing/polling servers.