[c-nsp] When will SFP+ 10GBase-T optics be available?

Mark Berly mark at berly.org
Fri Apr 20 06:36:10 EDT 2012

inline....

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk>wrote:

> There does not seem to be a (genuine, unbiased) consensus about whether
> 10GbaseT or SFP+ is going to "win out" for host connectivity. We have
> dithered on this, but have moved in the direction of SFP+ on the basis that
> server manufacturers seem to be shipping SFP+ 10G kit, and the cheap 1U ToR
> switches are largely SFP+

Intel is starting to ship with 1/10GBASET LOM IMO this will push the market
to BASET, that and the cost is radically less. If you add up the SFP+
optics and cabling costs these are easily more than many ToR switches. Also
there are dense 10GBASET switches that can run at line rate and drive
distance to ~100M, since this is a Cisco focused mailer I will leave
company names off...

> My understanding was "never", based on vendor discussions. Specifically, I
> believe the SFP+ is unable to provide sufficient power to drive a 10GbaseT,
> full stop.

While the BER is a bit higher on BASET the above can be done today