[c-nsp] When will SFP+ 10GBase-T optics be available?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Apr 20 06:42:21 EDT 2012

On 20/04/12 11:36, Mark Berly wrote:
> inline....
>
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
> <mailto:p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk>> wrote:
>

>     There does not seem to be a (genuine, unbiased) consensus about
>     whether 10GbaseT or SFP+ is going to "win out" for host
>     connectivity. We have dithered on this, but have moved in the
>     direction of SFP+ on the basis that server manufacturers seem to be
>     shipping SFP+ 10G kit, and the cheap 1U ToR switches are largely SFP+
>

> Intel is starting to ship with 1/10GBASET LOM IMO this will push the
> market to BASET, that and the cost is radically less. If you add up the
> SFP+ optics and cabling costs these are easily more than many ToR

Yes. That is a popular, but in my experience not majority, opinion.

As I said: at this point, I don't think there is consensus. Obviously
you will disagree ;o)

> switches. Also there are dense 10GBASET switches that can run at line
> rate and drive distance to ~100M, since this is a Cisco focused mailer I
> will leave company names off...

Why? Feel free to name names.

Extreme x650 is 24-ports. We've got some. They're reasonable devices,
and cheap.

>     My understanding was "never", based on vendor discussions.
>     Specifically, I believe the SFP+ is unable to provide sufficient
>     power to drive a 10GbaseT, full stop.
>

> While the BER is a bit higher on BASET the above can be done today

Do you mean it's possible to purchase a 10GbaseT SFP+ today? From whom?