[c-nsp] When will SFP+ 10GBase-T optics be available?

Mark Berly mark at berly.org
Fri Apr 20 07:48:00 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk>wrote:

>> Intel is starting to ship with 1/10GBASET LOM IMO this will push the
>> market to BASET, that and the cost is radically less. If you add up the
>> SFP+ optics and cabling costs these are easily more than many ToR
>>

> Yes. That is a popular, but in my experience not majority, opinion.

As I said: at this point, I don't think there is consensus. Obviously you
> will disagree ;o)

The cost savings for 10GBASET is not an opinion it radically changes the
economics of 10GbE and it does allow for 100M/1G/10G connectivity helping
simply choices for ToR switches (one switch can do all of the above). I do
agree it is not a consensus as to the 'best' technology but IMO 10GBASET
will drive 10G adoption to the masses, with processor speeds increasing the
bottle has moved from the CPU/memory subsystems of the server to the
network I/O. In order to compensate people are going multiple 1G or
single/dual 10G when it is cost neutral to deploy 10G instead of 1G it is a
no brainer and with 10GBASET we are at that point.

>  switches. Also there are dense 10GBASET switches that can run at line
>> rate and drive distance to ~100M, since this is a Cisco focused mailer I
>> will leave company names off...
>>

> Why? Feel free to name names.

Arista Networks makes a 64 and 52 port 10GBASET switch (48x100/1/10G with
either 4x10GbE SFP+ or 4x40GbE QSFP+) - in the sake of full disclosure I do
work for Arista (after a long stint @ Cisco) hence the reason I did not
want to disclose names initially but since you asked ;-)

>>    My understanding was "never", based on vendor discussions.
>>    Specifically, I believe the SFP+ is unable to provide sufficient
>>    power to drive a 10GbaseT, full stop.
>>

>> While the BER is a bit higher on BASET the above can be done today
>>

> Do you mean it's possible to purchase a 10GbaseT SFP+ today? From whom?

Sorry my reply was not clear vendors can drive 10GBASET but NOT with SFP+,
to your point its a power issue. I would not hold my breath waiting for
10GBASET in an SFP+ form factor....