[c-nsp] When will SFP+ 10GBase-T optics be available?

Alessandra Forti Alessandra.Forti at cern.ch
Sat Apr 21 21:47:29 EDT 2012

On 20/04/2012 12:48, Mark Berly wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Phil Mayers<p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk>wrote:
>>
>>> Intel is starting to ship with 1/10GBASET LOM IMO this will push the
>>> market to BASET, that and the cost is radically less. If you add up the
>>> SFP+ optics and cabling costs these are easily more than many ToR
>>>
>> Yes. That is a popular, but in my experience not majority, opinion.
> As I said: at this point, I don't think there is consensus. Obviously you
>> will disagree ;o)
>
> The cost savings for 10GBASET is not an opinion it radically changes the
> economics of 10GbE and it does allow for 100M/1G/10G connectivity helping
> simply choices for ToR switches (one switch can do all of the above). I do
> agree it is not a consensus as to the 'best' technology but IMO 10GBASET
> will drive 10G adoption to the masses, with processor speeds increasing the
> bottle has moved from the CPU/memory subsystems of the server to the
> network I/O. In order to compensate people are going multiple 1G or
> single/dual 10G when it is cost neutral to deploy 10G instead of 1G it is a
> no brainer and with 10GBASET we are at that point.

This year we moved to 10GbE and we bought a complete 10GBASE-T solution
due to it being cost effective and allowing us to keep older machines
until phased out or upgraded we could also plug in the 100M PDUs. We
upgraded the core switch and 14 ToRs replacing 7 cat5e bonded links with
2 redundant cat6a per ToR between them (with fiber due to the cost I
would think twice before putting in a redundant link).  For me too
10GBASE-T is indeed a no brainer for who is upgrading now.

cheers
alessandra