[c-nsp] When will SFP+ 10GBase-T optics be available?

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 14:27:03 EDT 2012

A couple years ago we built a new datacenter and we opted to not put
structured cabling in everywhere and backhaul things to EoR like we did
previously because of the uncertainy of where host 10GbE was going.   At
the time no one really had a 10GBaseT switch out except for Arista and we
were looking at using FCoE (a whole nother topic) and the couple vendors
supporting FCoE had no intentions at the time of supporting it on their
upcoming 10GBaseT switches (Cisco 2232TM FEX).  Nowadays Intel is pushing
using a software FCoE initiator (Open FCoE) with NIC offload just like
some iSCSI solutions, and they are supporting it on their LOM 10GBaseT
NICs.   I believe VMWare ESX has a software FCoE initiator now but don't
quote me on that.

Also when we looked at the number of potential 10G ports the power usage
at the time per 10GBaseT port was 10x that of a fiber/twinax solution, but
the power numbers have come down quite a bit and on the switch side there
isn't really much difference these days between SFP+ and 10GBaseT.

As for 10GBaseT SFP+, I've also been told it will never happen, so you'll
be forced to choose between using fiber/twinax or cat6 at least for the
upcoming future.

Phil