[c-nsp] GRE tunnel bandwidth

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 12:48:44 EDT 2012

On 8/4/12, Chuck Church <chuckchurch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tunnel bandwidth command (or any interface bandwidth) is used for
> statistics-computation only.  It does factor into QOS too if you use
> percentage type commands.

It's also used for eigrp route metrics.

I suspect routing isn't the issue here tho
> > I have some users experiencing slow file transfers over a GRE tunnel. The
> > tunnel is riding over 10-gig links.

To be able to use all the bandwidth, the tcp window size needs to be
at least <bandwidth in bytes/sec> * <round trip time in seconds>
So, for example, on a 10Gb link with a 2ms round trip time the tcp
window needs to be 2.5MB.  I remember WinXP defaulting to 16KB...

Regards,
Lee