[c-nsp] ME3600X Embedded Packet Capture

Ivan cisco-nsp at itpro.co.nz
Fri Aug 10 18:32:59 EDT 2012

Hi Waris,

When troubleshooting a layer 2 service checking what mac addresses can
seen seen from the customer has been very useful.  Previously with a
switched access we could look at the mac addresses on the access
switch.  With MPLS to the edge I haven't found anyway to be able to
verify customer mac addresses.  I was hopeful EPC may have been an
option after looking at the release notes I previously referenced.

Using a ME3600X for MPLS to the edge a layer 2 handoff may look
something like the following

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
  description Customer A
  switchport mode trunk
  mtu 9216
  load-interval 30
  no cdp enable
  service instance 666 ethernet
   encapsulation dot1q 666
   rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
   xconnect 1.2.3.4 666 encapsulation mpls

With a switched access there would be similar config as the above on the
PE but a switch (ACCESS) with vlan 666 between the PE and the customer.
Checking what mac addresses are seen from the customer is as easy as
"show mac address-table dynamic vlan 666" or "show mac address-table
dynamic interface GigabitEthernet 0/1"

With MPLS to the edge it is great the provider doesn't have to worry
about keeping mac address tables etc - much more scalable, but it would
be handy if there was an easy way to "peek" to help with
troubleshooting, as it generally indicates if the problem lies with the
customer or provider.

Thanks

Ivan