[c-nsp] IPv6 domain reply Cisco 6509 IPv4 address

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 11:55:36 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Chris Lane <clane1875 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > to follow up, once i added v6 to the router and advertised to my SP,
> > pinging google.com resolved, but Only via IPv6.
> > odd this Particular router only listen and responds to google via v6..
> Did
> > they change something?
> >
> > no other site does this that i can see.
>
> Not really odd, most applications prefer ipv6 over ipv4.

Right; but while "IPv6 > IPv4 (> Auto-tunneled IPv6)" is a great default
behavior*, it should only apply if the node is asking for both IPv6 and
IPv4 address resolution (AAAA and A), and the node should only ask for AAAA
resolution if it (thinks it) has IPv6 connectivity ...

/TJ

** - Happy Eyeballs notwithstanding ...*