[c-nsp] Port channel

Ryan West rwest at zyedge.com
Fri Aug 24 08:19:50 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 06:40:07, Xu Hu wrote:
> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Port channel
>
> What is the flex links about?
> Because the traffic load-balance or not is depend on your settings, by
> default is source mac address, let's say if you just have one source
> then the traffic will just use one port-channel link, if you have two
> sources, then should be load-balance between the two members.
> Correct me if I have the wrong understanding of hashing algorithm.

The default hashing algorithm is different on some platforms in the Catalyst line.  In the Nexus line, the default is different for a layer 3 port channel vs a layer 2.  Flex Links disable STP and one interface or Portchannel acts as a backup.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/flexlink.html

-ryan