[c-nsp] l2tpv3

cnsp at marenda.net cnsp at marenda.net
Thu Aug 30 14:05:09 EDT 2012

Hi,

L2tpv3 does not work well with the embedded switch-ports on the 870/1800
Routers since they tend to collect the stp/dot-q/.. pakets.

With 1812 and the two "real" Fastethernet ports,
Stp and also full-ethernetframe  including dot-q tags get transmitted.

So I used one of the switch-ports in vlan1 for the IP Transport connection.
IOS was c181x-adventerprisek9-mz.124-9.T.bin

With this IOS you can use the ip-adress of the LAN interface for the L2tpv3.
So you are not bound to have a loopback interface, as seen in later IOses.

Probably, the "WAN" "Internet" Port of an 871 may work, but
Those devices have an external power-supply.

With the 180[123]/1811/1812, you have at least one real FastEthernet Port
for the "internet-crossover" Cable; embedded xDSL Modem or second FAS
(1811/1812)
for the WAN Connection and a crypto-copro for the encryption of that Cable.

Hope this help's,

Juergen.