[c-nsp] SPAN destinations on ME3600/15.3(1)S

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Sat Dec 1 20:28:02 EST 2012

On 2012-12-01, at 2:36 AM, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:

> On (2012-11-30 15:53 -0500), Jason Lixfeld wrote:
>
>> Argh!  I'll bet that for 99% of the folks who have been waiting for SPAN on this platform, this implementation is pretty much useless.
>
> Why? If it does RSPAN or ERSPAN you should be good to go? RSPAN it to VLAN
> towards neighbour, who puts the VLAN to pseudowire and sends to your
> analyser?

My ME3600s don't have any core facing L2, so I would definitely use RSPAN to pseudowire....

> Or with ERSPAN give it your analyser IP address and send it there with GRE
> headers?
>
>>>  erspan-source       Encapsulated RSPAN Source Session
>>>  rspan-source        RSPAN Source Session

Fair point.  I missed the ERSPAN bit, I just looked at destination interface stuff.  ERSPAN may certainly be an option.

That said, PW-RSPAN on the ASR9ks is familiar for us, so PW-RSPAN on ME3600s would be preferable over ERSPAN, given the choice.