[c-nsp] IPv6 weirdness

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 02:08:48 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Randy <amps at djlab.com> wrote:

> On 12/07/2012 5:57 pm, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Randy wrote:
>>
>>  User complained his ipv6 gw on his vlan interface was down.  On
>>> checking, I couldn't ping it either from the local router.
>>>
>>> This looked interesting to me on a sh ipv6 route for the gw IP (note
>>> 'backup from...' line):
>>>

>> What does the interface config look like?
>>

> Very basic.
>
> interface VlanXX
>  ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
>  no ip redirects
>  no ip unreachables
>  no ip proxy-arp
>  ipv6 address x.x.x:6::1/64
> end
>
> --
> ~Randy

The interesting thing to me is that in the first case you have a /64 of
type connected, but in the second case you have a /128 of type receive. I
think the /128 type receive just means that the ip address is on the router
itself. So, the question remains why you got different results before and
after bouncing the interface.