[c-nsp] Moving Routing from 7206VRX to 6509-E

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 10:37:14 EST 2012

On 12/12/12 15:19, An Nguyen wrote:
> Thanks.
> So by default, if DFC is installed, ingress and egress on the same
> fabric-enabled module, everything is good. If egress is on a different
> fabric-enabled module, it is still not going through supervisor engine?
> Does it only goes through supervisor engine if egress or ingress is on a
> non frabric enabled module?

Not quite. You need to distinguish between presence of fabric and
presence of DFC.

I don't have time to write a detailed response, but basically you have:

non-fabric (forwarding lookups on PFC & data - both via bus)
fabric-with-CFC (forwarding lookups on PFC via bus, data via fabric)
fabric-with-DFC (forwarding lookups on DFC, data via fabric)

If you want the "max" performance option, you need fabric-with-DFC in
every slot.

Every packet "goes through the supervisor" because the sup has both the
fabric and the PFC, and every packet goes through one of them.

TBH I can't remember if sup2t even supports non-fabric linecards any more.

As others have said - it sounds like you're not very familiar with this
platform. Be prepared to do some reading - it's got a lot of
platform-specific behaviours.