[c-nsp] route-target import on non-leaking PEs

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Wed Dec 12 14:59:17 EST 2012

Hi all,

PE1 and PE2 are MP-BGP neighbors.  Both have MP-BGP configs for vrf 1 and vrf 2.  PE1 leaks routes from vrf 2 (rt 1:2) into vrf 1 (rt 1:1) using route-target import 1:2 in the vrf definition for vrf 1.

It seems that if I want those imported routes in vrf 1 on PE2, I have to add route-target import 1:2 in the vrf definition for vrf 1 on PE2 as well.

This seems like a scaling nightmare if I have 100-odd routers that need access to those routes.

How do folks work around this?  Set the rt to 1:1 using an import map in the definition for vrf 1 on PE1?

Thanks again in advance.