[c-nsp] 4500x logs Rx power low even with no link

Jeffrey G. Fitzwater jfitz at Princeton.EDU
Tue Dec 18 17:17:07 EST 2012

We have an veal 4500x with an 10GBase-LR SFP+ attached,  which is now logging …

%SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Te1/32: Rx power low alarm; Operating value: -40.0 dBm, Threshold value: -18.4 dBm.

We havn't installed the fiber yet but it seemed a little odd that the port was logging low power with no link.

I understand what its telling me, but why with no LINK ( no fibers attached) does it still put out this message?

This is the only platform that does this.

If we "shutdown" the interface the logging stops.  I was hoping this was not the only option.

I would think that once you reach a certain low power threshold that the the link would go down anyway, so why keep sending the low power alarms.

Maybe this is by design.

Does anybody know of any hidden options to stop alarm if link is down?

Thanks in advance….

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Network Systems
Princeton University