[c-nsp] VTP and shared medium

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Thu Dec 20 23:20:31 EST 2012

> I have configured a VTP domain and a VTP password on all the switches,
> however changes to the vlan database and other VTP information are not
> propagated to all the switches, or sometimes to some of the switches.

The possible reason is that some ports are in access mode though
configured for trunk mode? Why could that be?

!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk

#sh int GigabitEthernet0/1 switchport

Switchport: Enabled
Administrative Mode: trunk
Operational Mode: static access
Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Operational Trunking Encapsulation: native
Negotiation of Trunking: On
Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Why is the port in static access mode while it is configured as
"switchport mode trunk" and has the administrative mode "trunk"?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru