[c-nsp] prioritize VoIP and Skype traffic in office routers

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Feb 1 11:13:22 EST 2012

On Wednesday, February 01, 2012 11:56:53 PM Martin T wrote:

> I would like to improve packet processing prioritization
> in case of temporary congestions in my gateways(Cisco
> 1842, C1841-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M) which are serving two
> small offices in different cities. My ISP(same for both
> offices) does not support RSVP so I can't make any RSVP
> requests.

You mean as in trying to signal RSVP-based resource
reservation from your network to your ISP's network? As in
IntServ?

> In addition, they do not support
> prioritization based on DSCP or TOS field values. VoIP
> gateways are located in office LAN's.

Well, if your ISP won't support QoS, how would you expect to
have your QoS policy implemented end-to-end? If you
implemented it on your routers, it would only be "on" in
your network. Once your QoS'ed packets enter your ISP's
network, they won't be given any corresponding treatment.

Unless I'm missing something...

Mark.