[c-nsp] 7609-S Throughput

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Feb 14 11:36:30 EST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 03:53:50PM +0000, James Bensley wrote:
> I've heard that 10Gig cards in a 7609-S won't be able to push 10Gig of
> traffic down the port. Apparently the line cards will go at wire speed
> but the chassis won't push 10Gig across the back plane between say two
> 10Gig ports on two different cards. I've never used 10Gb modules on
> these chassis before, can anyone here say if they have had any
> problems with this, or perhaps adversely they easily max out their
> 10Gig ports on their 7600's?

Someone once told me a rumor, saying that an archive of cisco-nsp
exists, and that this might be a fairly frequent topic...  (and that
the answer is somewhat complex, depending on card, local switching or
cross-fabric, and on 6708's and 6716's, port distribution).

Short answer: 6700 cards have a 40 Gbit fabric connection.  There is some
overhead to it, so you can't run all 4 ports at 4x10 gbit line rate, but
something like 3.5x 10G should be doable on a 6704.  6708 and 6716 cards
are overbooked - they will handle 10G on each individual port, but not
on all of them at the same time, and not on arbitrary combinations.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de