[c-nsp] 7609-S Throughput

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Mon Feb 20 12:28:12 EST 2012

I probably wrote some of those over-subscription posts regarding the 6500 and 6704 which is the same backplane.
The backplane has some overhead that will limit what you can do.
Once you go over 80% on the backplane (32G total/16G per channel in one direction) you can run into some serious issues.
You start losing control messages and the machine can even restart if congestion is severe.
However if you have a significant quantity of traffic in one direction (likely at these levels of traffic),
You can pair ports (in and out) so that backplane congestion is does not occur.
If oversubscription is a serious issue then on the 6708 and 6716 the situation is even more complicated.
Specifically on the 6708 the port layout is far from obvious. Research the archive for the layout.

LR Mack McBride
Network Architect