[c-nsp] FWSM Throughput

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Feb 16 15:14:35 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 19:43 +0100, Łukasz Bromirski wrote:
> On 2012-02-16 19:35, Andrew Miehs wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just a quick question - the FWSM for the 6500 is rated at a
> > throughput of 5.5Gbps.
> >
> > Does this mean a total of 5.5Gbps (my preference) or 11Gbps (5.5
> > each direction)?
> > It would also be great if anyone has a cisco link for this.
>
> It's a 5.5Gbit/s FD, but that's highly engineered scenario - 6
> separate sessions, doing bulk transfer.

To add some data, we have had our FWSM hit just shy of 4.2 Gb/s (5 min
average) with "live" traffic and it routinely transports 3.0 Gb/s
measured as 30 min averages. We have between 55k (off hours) and 170k
(peak) concurrent connections.

> FWSM terminates internally on 6x1Gbit/s Etherchannel links,

This is most often our biggest problem -- the hashing often-ish
overloads one link and causes OutDicards, even though the aggregated
throughput is much lower than 5.5 Gb/s.

--
Peter