[c-nsp] Nexus 7010 5.1 to 5.2 upgrade

Antonio Soares amsoares at netcabo.pt
Thu Feb 23 08:50:34 EST 2012

The upgrade was done and a few things I can share:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1) the install script did not update correctly the boot variables:

boot kickstart bootflash:/n7000-s1-kickstart.5.2.3a.bin sup-1
boot system bootflash:/n7000-s1-dk9.5.2.3a.bin sup-1
boot kickstart bootflash:/n7000-s1-kickstart.5.1.3.bin sup-2

The entries for SUP1 were updated correctly but not for SUP-2. And since the
customer only had one SUP in the SUP-2 slot, I ended with a switch booting
the old kickstart image and not loading the system image. Not very funny
since this was a core device.

2) there was a failure related with the CMP  that I did not pay too much
attention:

Module 6: Upgrading CMP image.
Warning: please do not reload or power cycle CMP module at this time.
[#                   ]   0% -- FAIL. Return code 0x80930009 (Bad file
descriptor).

So in the end the CMP image was not updated.

3) After the new FEX configuration, the FEX got stucked like this:

NEXUS1# sh fex
  FEX         FEX           FEX                       FEX
Number    Description      State            Model            Serial
101        FEX0101        Image Download    N2K-C2232PP-10GE   XXXXXXXXXXX
NEXUS1#

Ok, power off/power on and it's working.

Regards,

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (R&S/SP)
amsoares at netcabo.pt
http://www.ccie18473.net