[c-nsp] dot1q encapsulation over wan

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Feb 23 15:51:19 EST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 03:08:05PM -0500, Chris Breger wrote:
> I need to extend a small number of VRFs between 2 DCs connected by Metro
> Ethernet terminating on 6500s.  Currently I am using a routed interface to
> route traffic between the sites with no VRF support.  I have no need extend
> Vlans across the DC only route traffic between the VRFs.  I am trying to
> determine the best option to add VRF support over this MetroE connection.
> I am considering adjusting the interface to use dot1q encapsulation and
> build sub-interface on the Ethernet interface which would be assigned to
> specific VRFs.  I have used this model within the DCs but I am not sure if
> it is the best method between remote locations.  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

dot1q with VRFs works just fine on a WAN link as locally.  The drawback
is that it doesn't really scale well to add every single VRF to every
single link in your network - so if you're adding VRFs regularily, or
the number of links is high, you might want to consider adding MPLS
and run the VRFs as "regular L3 VPNs".

Good examples on CCO.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/