[c-nsp] ASR9K MPLS basics

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Feb 26 22:36:47 EST 2012

On Saturday, February 25, 2012 06:28:51 PM Kimaru Mansour
wrote:

> Agreed, the config guides own :-) The command references
> are pretty neat as well !
> My personal opinion though, is that the people writing
> them need to put some more care into how they explain
> some commands and/or subjects. Some times when you
> finish reading, you end up with more questions than you
> started with. Again, just personal opinion. One could
> argue, having stuff cleared up is the job of your
> account team. Yes, driving your account team crazy is
> somewhat fun at times..

Well, Cisco have a Master Index of all commands on IOS XR
(CRS and ASR9000) in alphabetical order, for a handful of
the recent software releases here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5845/products_product_indices_list.html

You can definitely use that to gain an understanding of all
the commands in IOS XR, how they're used and what they'll
get you.

If it is your first time to IOS XR, I'd also recommend this
very old but still useful link that compares common commands
between IOS and IOS XR. It's not exhaustive, but it will get
you started and pointed in the right direction:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios_xr_sw/iosxr_r3.5/xr12000_conversion/reference/guide/cn35main.html

We didn't go for any IOS XR training, but just by using
these links, we've been able to deploy several CRS and
ASR9000 systems in our network, as well as convert lots of
IOS, IOS XE and Junos configurations to IOS XR, without any
help from Cisco or their partners (much to their worry,
initially, but then relief as we don't hassle them also),
including managed router services for customers buying CRS
routers that have no experience with IOS XR.

It's really not that hard, if you put your back into it.

Cheers,

Mark.