[c-nsp] ASR9K MPLS basics

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Fri Feb 24 16:57:28 EST 2012

On 24/02/2012 18:58, Ghassan.khalil wrote:
> I am planning to install an ASR9K as a PE router in my network.
> The ASR will be connected to another 2 PE routers 7613.
> Can anyone provide me with essential configuration for MPLS on the ASR
> as I am new to the IOS XR. And I am aiming to apply L3MPLS and VPLS
> which seems really different than dealing with a 7613 router knowing
> that the other 2 PEs are running these service pretty fine.

yes, it is new and other than really basic interface configuration, XR
syntax is quite different to traditional IOS syntax.

I would start somewhere around here:

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/software/mpls/configuration/guide/gcasr9kldp.html#wp1208015
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/software/mpls/configuration/guide/gcasr9kte.html#wp1328828

You've just spent $80k-$100k on a new router.  How much time and money have
you budgeted for retraining / learning a new system configuration language?

Nick