[c-nsp] Syslog Patterns

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Jan 18 09:26:41 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 16:05 +0200, Nikolay Abromov wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Peter Rathlev <peter at rathlev.dk>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 20:50 +0200, Nikolay Abromov wrote:
> > > I haven't read what the rest of the guys suggested about this
> > > topic but this is pretty easy.
> >
> > A bit ironic...
>
> I read your question and answered. I don't see anything ironic in
> that.

The ironic part is that your suggestion on using CONFIG_I has been
discussed at length and it has been pointed out (also by OP) that the
method is not adequate. Though OP could probably spend more time reading
up on the topic himself, it does seem like a waste of time simply
repeating what everyone else have said. :-)

Keep in mind that only one person spends time writing a reply, but
thousands spend time reading it. Common sense dictates that placing a
burden on the one is more efficient than placing it on the many, even
when the latter burden is much smaller.

Then I may have misunderstood. You wrote:

> 1. configure NTP master (on the local router or if you have remote
> NTP)
> 2. wait to sync (verify with show ntp status)
> 3. do show run and you will see
>
> lab-rack1#sh run
> Building configuration...
>
> Current configuration : 1480 bytes
> !
> ! Last configuration change at 18:53:13 UTC Tue Jan 17 2012
> ! NVRAM config last updated at 18:52:53 UTC Tue Jan 17 2012

I'm terribly sorry, but I cannot reconcile this description with the
statement "I gave you a way to verify it". The timestamp is updated
every time you exit config mode, just like when CONFIG_I is logged. And
this is true even though no configuration change was made.

> Archieve is not reliable because it is logging only the commands and
> SNMP too. The change configuration mib is sending everytime when you
> enter in config mode and exit.

I'd love to hear more about this, so if you can elaborate I'm all ears.

My own experience is that there is no easy way of detecting a real
configuration change. You can only compare two copies of the
configuration, and since some things (e.g. "ntp clock-period" and
timestamps) change more or less by themselves, you cannot even rely on a
simple diff.

Everyone else: Please excuse me if I'm feeding a troll here.

--
Peter