[c-nsp] cisco BRAS operational questions

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu Jan 19 15:23:53 EST 2012

Hello,

	I am considering going to a cisco 7201 for PPPoE subscriber
termination, and I am trying to figure out how I would duplicate some
features of my current (linux based) pppoe solution. I use radius and am
certain %85 of what I do is stock-and-trade for the cisco solution, the
devil is in some custom things we've come to depend on.

	* per-customer ip filtering

	Most customers have a default ip filter which drops all rfc1918
addresses, invalid source addresses, and prevents direct-to-smtp
connections other than to our mail hosts. A very small subset of
subscribers have a slightly modified filter which permits
smtp-to-anywhere. I want to be able to set this via radius attributes
but have no clue how I'd give any given subscriber one filter list vs
another. The filter rules themselves could certainly be pretty static
and not changing often, I just need to be able to tell the box which set
of rules should apply per customer.

	* captive portal / source routing

	Certain customers may need to have different routing than the default
'to internet' gateway. For example, I have a captive portal system that
works by returing custom web pages for any request that gets routed to
it, such as if you make this box's ip the 'default gateway' used by a
customer. I would need to be able to tell the cisco to route all packets
from some given customer - either by source ip address or, preferably,
by interface - down to this alternate gateway.

	* diagnostic intercept

	For troubleshooting purposes, we find it helpful to be able to use
tcpdump to capture packets. We do it by mac address and sometimes by
customer PPP interface. Aside from having a span port on the switch, is
there any way we could get a feed from the 7201 for this purpose?

Thanks all.

Mike-