[c-nsp] in praise of the cat6500 Re: Flow tools

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 15:32:57 EST 2012

So, 2 slots for sup720's and fill the rest of the slots with 6704's
and you can do 28 line rate 10G ports.  Packet rate can get a bit
dicey when it gets really high on the 6704's but other than that,
fairly solid cards.  Minimal routing means that you should be able to
use that Sup720 for a while.

--chip

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Alessandra Forti <Alessandra.Forti at cern.ch> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I got some money to upgrade my network infrastructure from 1Gbps to
>>10Gbps.
>>
>>At the moment I have a cat6509E with a Sup720. This system has been
>>working fine for 6 years. The upgrade will have to last a similar
>>number
>>of years and our main requirement is throughput with minimal routing if
>>

> The 6[78]16 cards are only 40g. Each 4 port group has 10g. We have some, and frankly they're a bit awkward because of this.
>
> I would seriously look into the 6908 cards if you want the throughput.
> --
> Sent from my phone. Please excuse brevity and typos.

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....