[c-nsp] in praise of the cat6500 Re: Flow tools

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Fri Jan 20 15:42:04 EST 2012

On 20.01.2012, at 21:14, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> Alessandra Forti <Alessandra.Forti at cern.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I got some money to upgrade my network infrastructure from 1Gbps to
>> 10Gbps.
>>
>> At the moment I have a cat6509E with a Sup720. This system has been
>> working fine for 6 years. The upgrade will have to last a similar
>> number
>> of years and our main requirement is throughput with minimal routing if

How far do you plan to expand in the next 6 years?

I would use 6708s to connect DC rack switches

for 16 racks you will want 32 ports due to port channel to each rack.

I would consider buying a second 6509 sup 720 10g for failover
purposes / alternatively VSS.

> The 6[78]16 cards are only 40g. Each 4 port group has 10g. We have some, and frankly they're a bit awkward because of this.
>
> I would seriously look into the 6908 cards if you want the throughput.

Agreed - Don't all the cards need to be replaced though if you want to
run 80g full duplex to every card?

Andrew