[c-nsp] 7600 Owners, failure stats wanted

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Sat Jan 21 09:45:50 EST 2012

On 1/21/12 8:28 AM, James Bensley wrote:
> Many of you are mentioning dual-homed customers, which of course is always
> an option. What I meant though is that it's very rare to find a set up
> where every single customer is dual-homed. So, in a "typical" deployment,
> do your line cards fail long before a SUP/RSP, or vice versa? For those
> that have dual SUPs/RSPs, has the second one been required *that* often?

I've seen a block of ports on an older 10/100 linecard drop; recovery
came at next reboot.  I've seen a 10/100 card die, and force a reload as
it went down.  Sup720s have been good to me.  I think I've seen 1 or 2
backup Sups hiccup but come back to life.

More recently as a consultant, a customer's DC is showing one completely
dead Sup (which forced an SSO event), one backup Sup that reloaded; out
of ten units.

pt