[c-nsp] WS-G5486 GBIC faulty Tx laser

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 09:51:58 EST 2012

Has anyone experienced a situation where GBIC occasionally does not
transmit properly with required power? I had a WS-G5486 GBIC in
WS-X4306-GB module connected to a SFP in another switch and all of the
sudden link started to flap with 4-6min intervals. It had been stable
for years. Rx power at the SFP end was very low(SFP had a DOM
support). I replaced the GBIC with another one(link came up instantly
and become stable) and tested the problematic GBIC in another
switch(same model and module) and GBIC transmits with nominal
power(-6dBm) and links with another SFP just fine. What bothers me the
most is that in the second switch the problematic GBIC seems to works
as good as ever. Any experience with similar occasions?

regards,
martin