[c-nsp] ASR as BGP Route Server

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Jan 24 17:06:15 EST 2012

On 24/01/2012 21:27, Gert Doering wrote:
> If you have just untagged IPv4/IPv6 routes, bird is likely to be MUCH
> more scalable than anything $C or $J can offer - and given the torture
> bird regularily gets from the big exchange points using it as route
> server, it should be at least as stable as IOS BGP (memleaks in IOS BGP?
> or ghosts?  neeever heard of...).

Bird is extremely cool, no doubt about it.  I use it for route servers at
INEX and it is rock solid with lots of yummy features, including a
delicious configuration syntax.  Internally, it has a much better memory
architecture / implementation than openbgpd, which in turn has a much
better memory architecture/implementation than quagga.  However, IOS-XE has
a commanding lead in this area: it scales to far bigger systems for route
servers than bird (or openbgpd / quagga).

Nick