[c-nsp] Cisco ME3800X/ME3600X - Any experiences worth sharing?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jan 26 10:09:25 EST 2012

On Thursday, January 26, 2012 08:09:15 PM Steve McCrory
wrote:

> We are considering these as a replacement for our
> 3750MEs.
>
> The big selling point for us is their ability to support
> HCBWFQ which we can currently only offer to customers on
> our 7600 ES-20 ports. Comparing the port cost between
> the two is night and day which makes them very
> attractive to us.

The ME3600X/3800X was built more like a router than a
Catalyst switch. It's miles apart from the ME3750 in that
regard.

Nowhere is this clearer than in the QoS implementation on
the ME3600X/3800X. It's just as straight forward as it would
be on an IOS-based router (with a few restrictions either
unique to hardware-based routers or lack of code maturity).

> I always felt that MPLS functionality was shoe-horned in
> to the 3750s whereas the ME3600 series seems to have
> been designed with true PE functionality in mind from
> the beginning.

Indeed.

> The downside is, as you point out, that they are still in
> their infancy and there are only a handful of images
> available so they are bound to be a bit buggy to begin
> with.

I still think it's worth the long-term benefit.

Mark.