[c-nsp] ASR1000 - Software Redundancy

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Jan 31 21:04:18 EST 2012

On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:38:53 PM Antonio Soares
wrote:

> The box has 4 GB of memory but the IOSd only allocates
> 1,7 GB. Is this dynamic ? How do we control this ?

We turned on software redundancy on our ASR1002's a couple
of years back, while they were running at least 3x full BGP
feeds. This was still on IOS XE 2.6.

Over several weeks, the box run out of memory and crashed.
We traced the issue back to the software redundancy + large
memory consumption due to BGP routing.

We disabled software redundancy and have never turned it on
since. If we want control plane redundancy, we buy the
ASR1006, which is one of the reasons we never buy the
ASR1004. Only the ASR1002 (size, cost) and the ASR1006
(redundant, high capacity).

If you have 4GB DRAM in the router, IOSd itself will take
2GB and the other 2GB will be used for internal purposes. If
you have SSO turned on for software redundancy, the 2GB that
was allocated to IOSd will be halved further to 1GB for the
native IOSd, and another 1GB for the redundant IOSd.
However, other internal processes would consume memory from
the remaining 1GB of the native IOSd, leaving with you about
600MB - 700MB of free memory on that partition.

Now throw a couple of full BGP feeds into the remaining odd
700MB, and you quickly see what is wrong with this picture.

There is a caveat (unofficial) that Cisco do not recommend
running software redundancy if the router is running BGP.
You won't find this recommendation online anywhere, as it
was an internal discussion within the ASR1000 BU. But AFAIK,
internal notes have been made available to account teams in
case customers have questions about this.

Bottom line, don't enable software redundancy if you have
BGP running. Personally, I don't enable software redundancy,
period. I bought a box with a single control plane. If I
want redundancy, I'll buy one with two control planes.

The idea is novel, but it doesn't really work.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.