[c-nsp] PSU "input dropped" not gone

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Jul 4 02:40:17 EDT 2012

During a scheduled generator test we saw a device log the following:

 %C6KPWR-SP-4-INPUTCHANGE: Power supply 2 input has changed.  Power capacity adjusted to 1171.38W

The device has two 3000W PSUs but only uses ~600W now, so the above was
no problem as such. But it does make me wonder: If the PSU adjusts its
output power downwards (instead of "shutting down") when the input power
drops (too slowly) then we have failure scenarios we don't like.

The other PSU works fine and has the correct input.

Any other options than switching to "combined" mode? I'm thinking the
only difference between "combined" and "redundant" is 1) what the device
does when new modules are inserted and 2) what the device does when a
PSU has problems. Running in combined mode but not oversubscribed
(verified by consistency checks regularly) shouldn't be a problem,
right?

(Sorry if this is a FAQ, my google-fu is terrible in the morning.)

--
Peter