[c-nsp] TDMOP solution

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jul 4 06:03:03 EDT 2012

On 03/07/12 23:53, Sigurbjörn Birkir Lárusson wrote:
> Agree with Tarko on RAD, stay away from them.

I tend to agree. The RAD gear we have is really poor in a lot of
important ways; bad software, bad diagnostics, bad logging.

The one thing I *will* say is that, when up and running, it provides
fair-to-middling circuit emulation via short-haul Ethernet/IP links, and
does it without new-fangled clocking like SyncE/1588 (which we can't
support). However, we had to enable QoS to get priority queueing,
because it is VERY intolerant of jitter (and loss, of course - I wish it
had FEC) due to the buffering strategy it uses.

We still don't have a perfect path, but it's acceptable for our needs
(legacy voice links delivered as cheaply as possible). However, I would
probably consider other products if I was doing it again.