[c-nsp] configuring RTC on a Cisco 1841 router

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 11:41:10 EDT 2012

Hi,

some Cisco switches and routers have real-time clock built in. For
example Cisco 4500 series switch with WS-X4516-10GE SUP has a
RTC(CR1632 battery), Cisco 880 series routers or Cisco 1841
router(CR1225 battery). In case I remove the CR1225 battery from Cisco
1841 battery socket and power on the router, it displays
"*01:16:27.911 UTC Thu Jan 1 1970" in "show clock" output which is
obvious as it has no clock source. Some platforms should default back
to "Mar 1 1993". I can correct the date and time within the IOS with
"clock set" command, but after the reload time is once again reset to
"Jan 1 1970" while the battery is in it's socket. Is there a way to
configure RTC when RTC battery/supercapacitor is for example replaced
with a new one?

Martin