[c-nsp] Broadband Model suggestion?

Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim ihsan at grep.my
Thu Jul 12 09:37:29 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Jul 12, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Frank Norman wrote:

> Now can someone tell me
>
> 1) what are the standard models (PPPoE or DHCP ? ) that are being used in
> such kind of broadband networks?? and which is more flexible??

Both are fine from protocol perspective. I've used both and DHCP is slightly more work if you need IPv6 as if you want to use the equivalent of option82 in DHCPv4, I'd wager support for the equivalent in DHCPv6 i.e. RFC3315/3993/3649 are incomplete, at least for 3 major GPON mfgs from China.

My personal preference would be DHCP as this would allow subs to forget about remembering PPPoE login info altogether which was a big deal for us handling customer issues.

Our situation was that we had a large number of legacy subs on PPPoE and to switch to IPoE/DHCP would have meant product realignment and customer migrations so we stuck by PPPoE.

> 2) How is bandwidth management for subscribers is handled?? through the
> same BRAS or by installation of separate devices like packeteer,
> packetlogic etc

Both sides. The BRAS is responsible for enforcing the parameters sent by the policy manager. Communication can be done typically via RADIUS-CoA or DIAMETER.

> 2) Which devices/vendors can handle these kind of requirements??  (We
> already have AAA radius expertise, so i am only concerned with network
> equipment side)

I've had some experiences with the MX but this is one of the areas I think Juniper had a lot to improve as the integration between MX, SRC & VTA (the part that does volume-based tracking) isn't as good or polished as the integration of them with the ERXes.

MX by itself is a fine BRAS but integration with SRC/VTA is just something that is left to be desired.

Starting on 4.2 I think, VTA functionality has been integrated into SRC so there's good chance things have improved.

I've no experience with Cisco ASR1k/9k integration with Openet so I can't really comment on that.

ihsan