[c-nsp] Broadband Model suggestion?

Miquel van Smoorenburg miquels at cistron.nl
Wed Jul 18 04:17:15 EDT 2012

On 12-07-12 3:37 PM, Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Jul 12, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Frank Norman wrote:
>>
>> Now can someone tell me
>>
>> 1) what are the standard models (PPPoE or DHCP ? ) that are being
>> used in such kind of broadband networks?? and which is more
>> flexible??
>
> Both are fine from protocol perspective. I've used both and DHCP is
> slightly more work if you need IPv6 as if you want to use the
> equivalent of option82 in DHCPv4, I'd wager support for the
> equivalent in DHCPv6 i.e. RFC3315/3993/3649 are incomplete, at least
> for 3 major GPON mfgs from China.
>
> My personal preference would be DHCP as this would allow subs to
> forget about remembering PPPoE login info altogether which was a big
> deal for us handling customer issues.

Depends - if the equipment can insert DHCP Option82 into a DHCP
DISCOVER, it might  also be able to insert the equivalent PPPoE tag.
That's actually how we authenticate our PPPoE subscribers, we completely
ignore username/password.

The advantage of PPPoE is protocol independence. It made it possible for
us to roll out IPv6 over PPPoE without changes in the last mile.

However, if we could have used the VLAN-per-customer model we probably
wouldn't have bothered with PPPoE.

Disadvantage of both PPPoE and VLAN-per-customer: no effective multicast
(unless you run that in a seperate second shared-VLAN).

Mike.