[c-nsp] 10G Aggregation?

John Gill johgill at cisco.com
Tue Jul 17 16:41:08 EDT 2012

Not to mince your words Nick, you have good points.  Buffering is a very
significant consideration, especially if you have a mix of 1G and 10G or
you expect a lot of many-to-one patterns.

I do want to mention that the key differentiators of the 5548 vs. 4500X
buffering that 5548 uses ingress buffering and is cut-through vs. shared
tx store and forward.  However there is no sharing on the 5548 ports
(But some models of Fabric Extenter [n2k] can).  The ingress buffer
architecture can scale very well for short bursts from many interfaces
at the same time, since each packet is stored on it's own ingress
virtual output queue.

Regards,
John Gill
cisco