[c-nsp] 10G Aggregation?

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 17:16:23 EDT 2012

Hi,

On 18 July 2012 02:23, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:
> I'm wondering what people think of the 4500X for 10G aggregation.  Due
> to the way my fiber is laid out, I need to aggregate the uplinks from
> 6 buildings back to my core.  Currently I'm using a 3550-12G to
> aggregate the current 1G uplinks but I'm going to be starting the
> process of upgrading the access switches in these buildings to 2960S
> switches soon and would like to take advantage of the 10G uplinks.
> Extreme performance isn't a requirement, and I'll probably skip L3 as
> well and leave the routing to the Nexus 5548s in the core.  If you
> don't like the 4500X what other Cisco switch might you recommend?

I've used 4900M for 10G aggregation (with extra modules in the two
slots). With basic QoS marking/inspection and relatively smooth
(internet) traffic they worked like a charm, at really attractive
price point. Also the fact that they use XFP (and not SFP+) means that
you can use ZR if you have to.

kind regards
Pshem