[c-nsp] Small, Low Power Cisco Router Recommendation

Rusty Dekema rdekema at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 21:12:03 EDT 2012

Thanks for the extra info,

You're right of course that the 2600 has a fan. However, it will only be
operated in a fairly cool (60-65 F ambient) environment, with no other heat
producing equipment near it, so if the noise is too great, I should be able
to replace or alter the fan to trade off CFM for dB. Also, from what I've
heard, the unmodified fan is said to be fairly quiet. (Obviously, that
depends upon the ear of the beholder, though.)

As for the power, I've seen that 75W figure at various places on the
Internet too. However, I have a friend with a 2600 series in production and
he measured the power consumption of his, and it varied from 12-15W (while
passing traffic, but with no additional NM/WIC/etcs installed). Since I
won't need any NMs or WICs, I suspect mine should fall in this range too,
which is pretty decent.

Thanks again,
Rusty